Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kona. Our First Week.

We finally made it to Kona, since last year it was just a dream, now it's real. We arrived Sunday night after a day with our friend Lalo in L.A. We both were pretty tired of the trip, but monday morning it was like we had new batteries, I was supposed to ride 50k at moderate pace in the Queen K and I ended up riding 120k at almost race pace.

I know it's not the smartest thing to do, specially one week before a race, but I kept doing it the whole week, and to make ir a little worst I took my first shot at Paddlebording, It was really fun, and before I knew I had more than one hour standing in the paddleboard, I won't say it's easy or difficult, because the point is not only stand up and paddle, the point is to go where you wanna go and do it swiftly, and that's when you fall. I had a blast but next day I could feel wich muscles I used to stay upright, the calves and the shins, so my run sessions for the week were in pure pain.


I also put myself in the hands of Coach Steve, I meet him last year and I knew he was the one to trust to change my stroke and help me take my swim to the next step, I do have a long way to go, but here's the place to do it. What I didn't knew about Coach Steve is that he was the assistant coach for Mark Spitz, Amazing!!!
Our place is very close to the pier and to the pool, so we are in the heart of Kona, Paola is running all the time, and of course taking all the sun possible.
Saturday Morning we went to Waikoloa Beach to spend the day, we had Spicy Ahi Poke and Sushi and the day was perfect, we just can't believe that we have already a week here.


Friday we are going to Honolulu, I will race at the Honolulu International Triathlon, it's an Olympic distance Triathlon, it might be not so important in my racing schedule but still I want to do good, so i will try to take it easy this week and get there rested, It's also my first Olympic Triathlon in almost two years, and there's no worst feeling than race with heavy legs.



The people in Kona is very very friendly, it's like a big family and everyone is ready to help in any way you need, so we already feel locals.

No comments: