Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ironman Putrajaya 70.3 1st Place!!!!!!

It was simply the perfect day and the perfect race I could ever wish for.
Starting by the swim leg, after the gun shot I went to the front of the pack, at my sides i had a Korean guy and a Aussie, the lake was flat as a pancake so it was very easy to see the buoys but since I was at the front it was easier to follow the Kayak, the feeling of being at the front was excellent but in the 950mt turnaround I let the Aussie take the lead and get some rest at his feet, I knew I could get him later, and that happened at t1, so there I was in the bike 5 minutes behind the Elite Group, and at the front of the rest.
The bike course this time didn't look flat anymore it was more hilly than the previous days ha ha! But after checking some splits I knew I was going fast, after the first lap I started to pass the Elite women and I got to t2 in front of all of them and some local pros.
The run was simply beautiful as I said in the previous blog, and running in the main street of this exotic place was really incredible, and being at the front of the Age Group pack was just the best I could ask for, in front of me there was just Jan Rehula, Cameron Watt, Passuello, and .... ( I still have to see the results)
My plan was simple, try to hold my target 21kms pace (4:30 min per Km) as long as I could, and I did it til the 18km mark from that point I lost the pace, but nothing disastrous, I was passed again by 3 Elite girls, one Elite guy and by one guy from the 30-34 Age Group, so I finished 1st place for the First time in an Ironman 70.3 Event, and I just can't by more satisfied.

Later in the week I will post the great pictures that Paola Shoot, they are really great.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.pbase.com/colind/703_putrajaya_

Erich said...

Congratulations on the win! I look forward to seeing some of the pics. Recover well and I'll see you in Clearwater!

Simon said...

Hey well done. You were awesome, we thought you were a Pro with the bib no.10. You certainly went as fast as them. I won the 40-44 age-group so a good day for me too. A big thanks to your wife she was very supportive on the run - lots of cheering. Good luck in Clearwater. Check out my report on www.tritwins.blogspot.com if you like. Ciao.